Inclement Weather Policy
Facility Closures/Opening Delays Due to Inclement Weather
Communication of a Branch Closure or Delay: Prior to a Branch Opening
If inclement weather is forecasted for our area, the Y will make the decision if it is necessary to close a branch or delay the opening of a branch, by 3:00 a.m. that morning.
The details of the branch closure or delay will be posted on the Lancaster Family YMCA website at www.lancasterymca.org and the Lancaster Family YMCA Facebook page. An email about the closure or delay will also be sent to all Y members. If you have opted out of receiving Y email communications, you won’t receive that message.
Any delays or closures will be sent to WGAL for posting, but the Y cannot guarantee how quickly that posting will appear on the television broadcast or the WGAL.com website.
Closing or delays will be listed on WGAL separately for each Y branch, so please look for the specific branch you frequent for information relating to that branch. Branches will be listed as:
Lancaster Family YMCA (= City Center Y)
YMCA – Lampeter-Strasburg
YMCA – New Holland
We will continue to post updates about the status of a delay or branch closure throughout that day.
Communication of a Branch Closure: After a Branch has Opened
If inclement weather forces us to close a branch during operating hours, the decision to close will be announced 2 hours in advance of the early closing time. Details of the early closure will be announced within the branch and submitted to WGAL, the Lancaster Family YMCA website at www.lancasterymca.org and the Lancaster Family YMCA Facebook page. An email about the closure will also be sent to all Y members.
Cancellation of Group Exercise and Aquatic Classes when a Y branch is Open.
During inclement weather, attendance in our group exercise and aquatic classes typically drops. If the local school districts are closed due to inclement weather this also causes a decrease in class participation. For these reasons, we have found that it becomes necessary to cancel classes during these times.
To help you understand when classes will be cancelled due to inclement weather and to better plan your visit to the Y, please review the following guidelines:
During inclement weather, we will base our decision to run morning group exercise and aquatics classes on the schedule of the school district closest to each branch:
City Center Branch = School District of Lancaster
Lampeter-Strasburg Branch = Lampeter-Strasburg School District
YMCA at New Holland = Eastern Lancaster County School District (Elanco)
- If the school issues a 2-hour delay, classes will be cancelled through 11:00 a.m.
- If the school closes but the Y is open, classes will be cancelled through 11:00 a.m.
Update to Policy as of 2-3-16: Extended Closures of School Districts
If the local school district is delayed or closed for multiple, consecutive days, the Y’s Executive Branch Director will decide if it’s safe for the majority of members and staff to travel to the branch, and, if deemed safe, the Y will be open and morning classes will be offered.
If this situation occurs, there could still be the possibility that some class instructors cannot make it to the branch and some classes could be cancelled.
We will communicate those specific class cancellations via our Mobile App push notification system.
- If further cancellations are needed throughout the day, the Y will use the following schedule:
- Classes beginning at 11:00 a.m. through 1:00 pm will be determined by 9:00 am.
- Classes beginning after 1:00 p.m. through 4:00 pm will be determined by 11:00 a.m.
- Classes beginning after 4:00 p.m. will be determined by 2:00 p.m.
- If there is inclement weather and the school district has not made a decision by 3:00 a.m. that morning to delay or cancel school for the day, the Y will decide by 3:00 a.m. if the 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. classes will run that day. These decisions will be made on a branch by branch basis.
- All Saturday class determinations will be made by 5:00 a.m. that morning.
- All Sunday class determinations will be made by 8:00 a.m. that morning.
Change in class schedules due to inclement weather will also be posted on the Y website at www.lancasterymca.org and the Lancaster Family YMCA Facebook page.
Declared State of Emergency (City or State)
When making a decision to delay or not open a branch, the Y will take into account whether a State of Emergency has been declared. If a State of Emergency is declared and indicates that it would be unsafe to open our facilities we will close and or evacuate as per declared guidelines.