If I am a member at one Lancaster Family YMCA branch, may I use the other branches?
When you are a member at any Lancaster Family YMCA branch, you have full access and membership privileges to all Lancaster Family YMCA branches.
What are the busiest times to work out or swim?
At our City Center branch, the busiest times in the facility are:
8:30-10:30 AM and 4:00-6:30 PM
At our Lampeter-Strasburg branch, the busiest times in the facility are:
Monday-Friday: 5:00-6:30 AM, 8:00-11:00 AM and 3:00-7:30 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM-12:00 PM
Is there an annual contract to join?
You can choose to do a monthly membership with no contract or our Commit To Your Health Membership. Our Commit To Your Health Membership is 12 months in length and the $99 join fee is waived.
If you choose to cancel your membership, we do have a 7-day cancellation policy, which means you would be billed one more time from the point of your cancellation. A membership cancellation form needs to be completed to cancel your membership. This form is located at our Welcome Desks. You will still have full access to the Y facilities during this time.
If I stop coming to the Y, does my membership automatically cancel?
No. Membership dues are not based on usage, so you need to complete a cancellation form, located at our Welcome Desks, to cancel your membership.
We do have a 7-day cancellation policy, which means you would be billed one more time from the point of your cancellation. You will still have full access to the Y facilities during this time.
Do I have to sign in when I come to the Y?
Upon entering our facilities, please check-in at the Welcome Desk by swiping your membership key card or your member ID bar code via a mobile device.
What is the member dress code?
Members should not show their midriff area while utilizing the facility; bathing suits must be worn in the swimming pool and hot tub; towels or shorts must be worn in the sauna room. No shoes allowed in the sauna.
- Shirts, dry shorts, and sneakers are required in order to exercise in the Wellness Center
- Shirts must be worn over sports bras
- No exposed midriffs
What are the rules for Y members using the Wellness Center/Equipment?
- No food and drink, except water/sports drinks, are allowed in Wellness Center
- Do not slam or drop weights
- Return dumbbells to the racks when finished
- Wipe down machines after use with a towel and spray bottle. Do not spray directly on machine
- Follow 30 minute maximum use time for cardio equipment during peak times
- Refrain from using foul language
- Be courteous to other members using the Wellness Center
- Cell phone use is prohibited in the Wellness Center
- Member must stay with Guest at all times
- Ask Wellness Floor Trainer if you have any questions or need assistance
Y member guests age 16 and older may use the Wellness Center/Equipment.
Y member guests 12 to 15 years of age may use the Wellness Center with a member only with adult supervision. If the member is between 12 and 15 years of age, they must have completed the youth orientation for the guest to use the wellness center.
Can my children use the Wellness Center/Equipment?
Members ages 12-15 receive access to the facility without parent or guardian supervision. Teens must complete the branch teen wellness orientation in order to use either youth or adult wellness equipment. Teen members may use the wellness equipment without parent or guardian supervision while a fitness trainer is on duty. Ages 12-15 can take group exercise classes without parent supervision. Please see your branch Welcome Desk for details on times and to register for a teen wellness orientation.
Youth under the age of 12 are not permitted to use the Wellness Center and Equipment.
What are the rules for using the Pool?
- No swimming when the lifeguard is not on duty.
- All swimmers must shower before entering the pool.
- Obey lifeguards at all times.
- No gum, food or smoking in locker rooms/pool area.
- Any open wound must be properly bandaged, with lifeguard approval
- No glass containers in pool or locker room areas
- No running, pushing, dunking or horseplay at any time
- Swim equipment for instruction, swim team, and lap swimmers only.
- No YMCA equipment may be used during family swim times.
- Circle swim etiquette will be used when there are more than two swimmers in a lane.
- Proper bathing attire must be worn at all times. No t-shirts, cutoffs or gym shorts. Infants must have waterproof diapers.
- Flotation devices must be type 2 Coast Guard approved. No swimmies. Pool toys must be approved by the lifeguard.
- No diving anywhere in the pool unless under the supervision of a coach or instructor. Starting blocks are to be used only under the supervision of a coach.
- Lap lanes are reserved for those who are swimming laps or aqua jogging..
- To ensure the safety of our members and guests when using our pools, our lifeguards will close the pool area if lightning or thunder is detected in the area. When 30 minutes have passed without the presence of lightning or thunder, our lifeguards will reopen the pool area for use.
Anyone 12 years of age or younger is required to take the swim test to swim in the deep end. Please talk with our aquatics staff to set up a swim test for your child.
Parents/guardians are required to be in the water within arm’s length with any child 12 or under that has not successfully passed the swim test. For children 12 or under that have passed the swim test successfully, parents or guardians are not required to be in the water but must remain in the pool area. If a child is 13 or older the parents may be elsewhere in the facility.
Children who have not passed the swim test are allowed to go with their parent/guardian only as deep as that parent/guardian can stand.
Do you offer childcare services while members are working out?
The Y offers child care for members’ children while they are utilizing the facilities. This service is available for children ages 3 months to 12 years. It’s free for those with Family Memberships and $10.00 for two hours for those with Adult Memberships.
Child care is provided in two areas of each Y branch – our Child Watch Rooms and our I-Zone rooms. When the I-Zones rooms are open at a branch, children Kindergarten age – age 12 need to be signed into that room. If the I-Zone room is closed, all children will be signed into the Child Watch Room.
There is a two-hour limit/day. Parents must remain on the Y premises while children are in Child Watch. Children must wear socks in the Child Watch area.
Do you have lockers and towels for members to use?
Each YMCA branch has a Men’s, Women’s and Family Locker room. The Family Locker Room is designated for members in one of the three following categories:
- Families with children
- Members that need assistance in the facility
- Members with special needs
Members are welcome to use the lockers when they are at the branch, and we strongly recommend that members lock their locker. Members can bring their own locks, or locks are available for rent at the Welcome Desks. Locks and personal belongings must be removed by the member each day upon leaving the branch.
Monthly locker rentals are available for a $20/month fee. This would enable a member to keep personal belongings locked in a locker at the branch for an ongoing time period.
Please note the rates for towels and lockers that will take effect on December 1, 2019.
- Monthly Locker Rental = $20
- Monthly Towel Rental = $15
- Towel Daily Rate = $5
Can I bring a guest to the Y?
All members receive 5 free guest passes/year which they can use to bring guests to the Y at no cost. After using the 5 free guest passes in a year, Y Members can still bring guests to the Y, however, those guests would need to purchase a $10.00 day pass.
Guests ages two and under are free.
Visitors to the Y who are not accompanied by a Y member can purchase a $10.00 day pass.
Ongoing and Short-term memberships are available for visitors who would like to use the Y on a longer-term basis.
Youth/teen members must have completed orientation in order to bring in guests.
Members 12 and over may bring a guest 12 years of age or older. Guests under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult 18 or older. This adult may be a guest or a Y member.
All guests/visitors are required to show a valid government-issued ID.
If I bring a guest to the Y, what can they do?
Members are given 2 free guest passes per year.
All guests 16 years of age and older may use the whole facility, excluding the pool, without adult supervision. If a guest wishes to use the pool, he/she would need to pay a $6.00 guest fee for pool use
All guests 12 to 15 years of age may use the wellness center with a member only with adult supervision. If the member is between 12 and 15 years of age, they must have completed the youth orientation for the guest to use the wellness center.
After a member’s free guest passes are used, members can still bring guests to the Y for the remainder of the year by paying a $6.00/guest fee. This fee would include pool use for the guest.
Will someone show me how to use the equipment?
We offer Adult and Teen Orientations. You can sign up for this complimentary 30-minute orientation at the Welcome Desks.
Can I put my membership on Hold?
Members can put their membership on hold for up to 3 months by completing a HOLD form located at the Welcome Desk within 7 business days. At the end of the hold period, your membership will become active and you will be billed on the next cycle.
What is your membership refund policy?
- Y Membership cancellation policy requires a written notice of termination within 7 business days.
- All membership refunds requested must be submitted within 30 days of the discrepancies to be approved for reimbursement
- Credits and refunds are not approved until the Department Director and Executive Director sign off on the Credit/Refund Request Form.
Where do I park?
Each Lancaster Family YMCA branch has a parking lot with free parking for members and guests.
Can I visit other Y’s?
Lancaster Family YMCA members have access to many YMCAs across the country through YMCA Nationwide Membership.
You will be required to show your Y membership card (or key tag) and the Y you are visiting will call your home Y branch to ensure you are a member in “good standing.”
Can I get financial assistance towards membership or programs?
Yes, learn more here.
Do you offer residence?
The Lancaster Family Y does not offer rooms for overnight residents.
How am I informed of facility closings?
All delayed openings, schedule changes or closures at the Lancaster Family YMCA due to inclement weather will be posted on our website and the Lancaster Family YMCA’s Facebook page. The latest weather related information will also be available by calling our main number at (717) 393-9622 or (717) 464-4000.
How do I give feedback on the Y?
We welcome your feedback and comment cards are located at the Welcome Desks and throughout our facilities.